any other signs of bleaching in the Caribbean?

Carolina Bastidas cbastidas at usb.ve
Mon May 27 11:03:03 EDT 2002

Dear coral-listers,

Within the last two weeks we observed one third of the coral colonies pale
and bleached at the venezuelan CARICOMP site of Parque Nacional Morrocoy.
Affected colonies included species of Montrastea, Colpophyllia and Porites
- the dominant genera in the area - between 4 and 12 meters depth.

We were wondering if those observations could correspond to early signs of
a widespread bleaching in the Caribbean or some localized phenomena. Any
other observation?

Thanks,

Carolina Bastidas
Depto. de Biología de Organismos