Coral steroid extraction

Katrien Van Look Katrien.VanLook at ioz.ac.uk
Mon Nov 25 11:39:06 EST 2002

Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice/direct me to
publications concerning the extraction of steroids from corals.  I have
been trying to extract oestradiol from a soft coral (Sinularia sp.)
using methanol or diethyl ether.  I partly followed the method of Ann
Tarrant (Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A, 1999), but did not use the celite
columns - is this a critical step?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,
Katrien

Dr. Katrien Van Look