Kenyan Coral Disease Update - First Fungus

crcp crcp at africaonline.co.ke
Thu Oct 3 01:22:40 EDT 2002

Listers

I reported a coral disease or syndrome in Kenya in late February of this
year.  As an update Willie Wilson <whw at mba.ac.uk> has made nice electron
microscope images of the infected and normal tissue which you can see at
different magnifications at

http://www.k.p.ryan.btinternet.co.uk/Joanne

The images suggest a fungus, which I believe is the first record of a fungus
infecting hard corals. You are welcome to send us comments, but we would
like to ask those listers that have experience in identifying fungi to take
a look and send us any information that might help us to identifying this
fungus.  Can one tell if this primarily a marine or terrestrial fungus? etc.

The disease disappeared with the changing monsoon in April so we can not get
more samples or undertake experiments until it returns.

Thanks

Tim McClanahan, PhD
The Wildlife Conservation Society
Coral Reef Conservation Project