Fwd: Marine ecology position

GertWörheide at aoml.noaa.gov GertWörheide at aoml.noaa.gov
Tue Oct 15 04:03:56 EDT 2002

<gert.woerheide at geo.uni-goettingen.de>
Sender: owner-coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov

Hi all,
Bernie Degnan asked to distribute the following job ad to coral list.
cheers
Gert

Begin forwarded message:

digests, please see http://www.coral.noaa.gov/lists/coral-list.html .

Subject: Call for proposals: Coral Reef Conservation Fund
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:47:57 -0400
From: "Roger B Griffis" <Roger.B.Griffis at noaa.gov>
To: CMPAN <cmpan at ucdavis.edu>,
     CORAL Announce <CORAL-Announce at lists.coralreefalliance.org>,
     Coral list <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>,
     Coral Reefs Egroup <coralreefs at egroups.com>,
     Michelle Pico <pico at nfwf.org>,
     _NOAA Coral <noaa.coral at noaa.gov>,
     _NOAA MPA All <noaa.mpa.all at noaa.gov>

** For distribution **

CALL FOR PROPOSALS
CORAL REEF CONSERVATION FUND
http://www.nfwf.org/programs/coralreef.htm

The National Fish and Wildlife Foundation (NFWF), in cooperation with the
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Coral Reef Conservation
Program, is accepting proposals for projects that build public-private
partnerships to reduce and prevent degradation of coral reefs and associated
reef habitats (e.g. seagrass beds, mangroves etc.). Projects may address
causes of coral reef degradation wherever they occur, from inland areas to
coastal watersheds to the reefs and surrounding marine environment.
Proposals should support partnerships that provide solutions to specific
problems to help prevent coral reef degradation through one or more of the
following activities:

     Reducing impacts from pollution and sedimentation;
     Reducing impacts from over-harvesting and other fishing activities;
     Reducing impacts of tourism and boating;
     Restoring damaged reefs;
     Increasing community awareness through education and stewardship
activities.

Proposals are due January 31, 2003 (no exceptions).

Background
Coral reefs and their associated habitats are among the most biologically
diverse and complex ecosystems in the world. This incredible diversity
supports economies through activities such as tourism, fishing, and
pharmaceutical production. Despite their importance, coral reefs are rapidly
being degraded and destroyed by a variety of human impacts such as
pollution, overfishing, and physical disturbance to the reefs.

Priority projects will include those that:

1.  Build public-private partnerships, develop innovative partnerships, are
community-based, involve multiple stakeholders;
2.  Provide solutions to specific problems to reduce and prevent degradation
of coral reefs in the above listed areas;
3.  Are coordinated and consistent with on-going coral reef conservation
initiatives such as International Coral Reef Initiative's Framework for
Action and Renewed Call to Action , the U.S. National Action Plan (U.S.
Coral Reef Task Force, State and Territorial coral reef management programs,
and U.S. All Islands Coral Reef Initiative, as appropriate;
4.  Are focused on U.S. domestic, U.S. insular (territorial, commonwealth),
Freely Associated States (Micronesia, Marshall Islands and Palau), Caribbean
or Mesoamerican coral reef ecosystems;
5.  Address an unmet need that will provide direct benefits to coral reefs;
6.  Target a specific audience and address specific threats with a hands-on
approach.

Awards and Matching Funds
Most grants will be between $10,000 and $50,000. The average grant will be
approximately $25,000. Proposals should describe projects or progress that
can be achieved in a 12 month time period but may be part of a long-term
effort. All projects should include matching funding from project partners
at a minimum ratio of 1:1 - although leverage ratios of 2:1 are preferred.
As most of the grant dollars available for coral conservation will be
federal (e.g., National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Coral Reef
Conservation Program), the federal funds available for projects is
contingent on federal budget approvals, and matching contributions must be
from non-federal sources.

Eligible Applicants
Applications will be accepted from U.S. or international non-profit
organizations, academic institutions and government agencies (except U.S.
federal agencies). U.S. federal agencies are encouraged to work
collaboratively with non-federal project partners.

To Apply:
Electronic versions of the application form (in English and Spanish) are
available at www.nfwf.org.  Applicants will be notified after June 1st as to
the status of their proposal. The National Fish and Wildlife Foundation does
not anticipate another call for coral reef conservation proposals before
October of 2003.   If you have any questions about the
program or other opportunities through the National Fish and Wildlife
Foundation, please contact Michelle Pico (pico at nfwf.org).

Other Information:
For more information on the National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Administration's Coral Reef Conservation Program, please contact Roger
Griffis (roger.b.griffis at noaa.gov) or visit the web site
www.coralreef.noaa.gov.

  Roger B. Griffis <roger.b.griffis at noaa.gov>
  Policy Advisor
  U.S. Department of Commerce

  Roger B. Griffis
  Policy Advisor                                <roger.b.griffis at noaa.gov>
  National Oceanic and Atmospheric
  Administration
  U.S. Department of Commerce
  NOAA/NOS/ORR Rm 10116 1305 East West Highway  Pager: 877-632-5370
  Silver Spring                                 Fax: 301-713-4389
  MD                                            Work: 301-713-2989 x 115
  20910
  USA
  Additional Information:
  Last Name     Griffis