FW: Dust and Disease on the Great Barrier reef

Julian Sprung julian at twolittlefishies.com
Wed Oct 30 08:38:23 EST 2002

Thanks for the article and links Gene. For what its worth, white
syndrome-like outbreaks in Acropora in aquariums are often associated with
pathogenic bacteria, and their occurrence and rate of damage is affected by
temperature (high temps promote them).

Slow-progressing bottom-up tissue loss is sometimes not caused by disease
but by predators instead. Reasearchers who study Caribbean Acropora are
familiar with the coral eating snails Coralliophila, whose affect on the
corals is often mistaken by casual observers for disease. In aquariums with
Indo-Pacific Acropora there are occasionally similar snails such as
Drupella, which fortunately don't reproduce and can be removed fairly
easily. There are also nudibranchs such as Cuthona that leave dead white
patches on coral, but these affect mainly Montipora and Porites.

There is one predator of Indo-Pacific corals in aquariums (and presumably in
the wild too) that often goes unnoticed, though its affect can be dramatic.
The beast is Scutus cf. unguis, a black limpet that I'm sure occurs on the
Great Barrier Reef. These limpets are active at night only and do not stay
near the coral during the day, so researchers diving during the day wouldn't
ever associate it with the dying coral. In aquariums Scutus has the
unfortunate habit of reproducing prolifically, so its effect can blossom,
and result in the loss of all small polyped corals.

I mention this here because the comment in the article, "it takes months to
kill a large colony" sounds like it may be a predator. It may also be a
disease, but the researchers involved should check the corals at night just
to rule out Scutus.

Sincerely,

Julian Sprung
----------
>From: Gene Shinn <eshinn at usgs.gov>
>To: coral-list at aoml.noaa.gov
>Subject: Dust and Disease on the Great Barrier reef
>Date: Fri, Oct 25, 2002, 9:09 AM
>

> Is everyone watching what is happening in Australia as we speak? Check
> out
> these images and read the press releases. Note the statement, "White
> Syndrome outbreaks are happening in pristine areas of the Great Barrier
> Reef, the AIMS teams says, on outer reefs untouched by coastal
> development
> and tourism. This means the reef diseases are not linked to pollution,
> as
> are other coral diseases around the world."
>
> Gene

http://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/aerosol/satellite/seawifs/australia/200210/200210
2300_aust
> ralia.jpg