Chlorophyll extraction

Joshua Feingold joshua at nova.edu
Mon Sep 16 18:28:29 EDT 2002

Carrie - I've not used methanol, but I did use 95% acetone for chlorophyll
extractions directly from coral tissues without preliminary extraction of
the zooxanthellae. Obviously, this method would only allow correction for
coral surface area and reveal nothing about chlorophyll/zoox. Extraction is
performed in the dark following methods of Jeffrey & Haxo 1968 (in
Biological Bulletin). Wavelengths of 480, 630, 665 and 750 nm were used.
Results were corrected for extract volume and coral surface area to yield
amount of pigment per cm^2. The equation for Chlorophyll a (ug cm^2) =
((11.43 x E665 - 0.40 x E630) x volume of extract) / area of coral. The
equation for Chlorophyll c (ug cm^2) = ((27.09 x E630 - 3.63 x E665) x
volume of extract) / area of coral.

Check that reference for information on Methanol extraction.

Cheers,

Joshua Feingold