Support for access to European museum collections

Hoeksema, B.W. Hoeksema at naturalis.nnm.nl
Tue Feb 11 12:03:08 EST 2003

> Apologies for cross-postings.
>
> Dear Colleague,
>
> Under the 6th Framework Programme (FP6) of the European Commission
(2002-2006), a proposal is in preparation to the Specific Programme on
Structuring the European Research Area. The purpose of the proposal is to
create a network of a number of institutions holding important biological
research collections throughout Europe. The proposal, which is being
prepared in the framework of the Consortium of European Taxonomic Facilities
(CETAF), is intended to provide access with financial support for visiting
researchers to the collections of the participating organisations.

> The proposal to the European Commission has to demonstrate a > "> European
Research Institution> ">  status of our museum. To obtain this status we
have to show (through letters of support) that there is a high degree of
scientific and/or social interest in having access to our museum and to the
other partners in the proposal.

> If for any future work, you or a colleague should need access to our
museum or one of the other institutions (see attached list), I kindly
request that you send a letter of support. Your letter of support should
specify why you want to have access and which institutions you want to
visit. With respect to the institutions to visit, you are invited to mention
the National Museum of Natural History, Leiden (we hold many (type)
specimens of Cnidaria), and any additional institute that is relevant for
your research (see attached list).

> Enclosed is an example of a support letter that can be used as a guide, if
you find it suitable for your needs. Please, spread this information also to
your colleagues. Letters of support should be sent by e-mail, fax or letter
to the chair of the Consortium of European Taxonomic Facilities (CETAF). An
example of such a letter with the address is in the annex. I invite you to
send the letter of support at short term, but not later than 7 March 2003.

> Thanking you in advance for your interest.
>
> Bert W. Hoeksema (Head, Department of Invertebrates)
> Leendert P. van Ofwegen (Curator, Coelenterates Section)
>
> National Museum of Natural History Naturalis
> P.O. Box 9517
> 2300 RA  Leiden
> The Netherlands
> Tel. +31.71.5687631
> Fax +31.71.5687666
> E-mail: Hoeksema at naturalis.nnm.nl
>
> The infrastructures listed below are expected to be members of the network
to which Access grants for visitors will be applied for.

> Country       Infrastructures
> Austria       Naturhistorisches Museum, Vienna
> Belgium       Institut Royal des Sciences Naturelles, Brussels Royal
Museum for Central Africa, Tervuren National Botanic Garden of Belgium,
Meise

> Germany       Botanic Garden and Botanical Museum Berlin-Dahlem Museum für
Naturkunde, Berlin
> Denmark       University of Copenhagen, COBICE
> Spain Museo Nacional Ciencias Naturales, CSIC, Madrid  Real Jardín
Botánico, CSIC, Madrid
> France        Muséum national d'Histoire Naturelle, Paris
> Hungary       Hungarian Museum of Natural History, Budapest
> Netherlands   Zoological Museum, University of Amsterdam & National
Natural History Museum Naturalis National Herbarium Netherlands, Leiden
Centraalbureau voor Schimmelcultures, Utrecht
> Poland        Museum and Institute of Zooology, PAS, Warsaw
> Sweden        Swedish Museum of Natural History, Stockholm
> United Kingdom        The Natural History Museum, London Royal Botanic
Gardens, Kew Royal Botanic Garden, Edinburgh

> Sample
>

> To:   Dr. Henrik Enghoff (Chair)
>       Consortium of European Taxonomic Facilities (CETAF)
>       Zoologisk Museum
>       Universitetsparken 15
>       DK-2100 Copenhaguen OE
>       Denmark
>
>       Email: henghoff at zmuc.ku.dk
>       Fax: + 45 35 32 10 10
>
> Dear Dr. Enghoff,
>
> For my research on [subject / taxonomic group], I need access to specimens
[from the region X] held in the collections of
> {Please enter the National Museum of Natural History, Leiden, and any
other relevant museum from the attached list].>

> Research visits are especially important as the [well
curated/unique/diverse/type] collections and the experts at the institutes
are crucial for the progress in my scientific work.

> I am looking forward to establishing cooperationships with the mentioned
institutes, and I support the initiative of your network to facilitate
access to their collection facilities.

digests, please see http://www.coral.noaa.gov/lists/coral-list.html .