Identification of Octocorals

Craig Bonn Craig.Bonn at noaa.gov
Wed Feb 19 08:33:13 EST 2003

Dear Listers, I am involved in a research project in Florida Bay looking at
species composition in the release channels that lie between the banks.  The
hardbottom channels contain hardcorals as well as numerous gorgonians.  I
need help in identifying the gorgonians to at least the genus level.  I took
video with closeups of the gorgonians and was wondering if there is anyone
that could take a look and help me in their identification.  So far, I have
identified a few:  Plexaurella nutans; Briareum asbestinum; and
Pseudoplexaura spp. from the video.  Im not an expert and was hoping that
someone could direct me to someone with some expertise.  Thanks

CS Bonn

  Craig Steven Bonn <Craig.Bonn at noaa.gov>
  Biological Fisheries Technician
  NOAA/NOS/CCFHR
  Seagrass Ecology

  Craig Steven Bonn
  Biological Fisheries Technician  <Craig.Bonn at noaa.gov>
  NOAA/NOS/CCFHR
  Seagrass Ecology
  101 Pivers Island Road           Cellular: 252-725-4794
  Beaufort                         Fax: 252-728-8784
  North Carolina                   Home: 252-354-5370
  28516                            Work: 252-728-8777
  USA
  Additional Information:
  Last Name  Bonn
  First Name Craig Steven