Spawning in East Africa

Sangeeta Mangubhai smangubhai at africaonline.co.ke
Wed Mar 12 07:46:42 EST 2003

Coral-Listers,

I am currently undertaking my Masters through Southern Cross University,
Australia. However, I am based in Mombasa, Kenya and I am studying the
reproductive ecology (spawning, gametogenic cycles, fecundity, recruitment)
of 4
selected coral species (Acropora valida, Platygyra daedalea, P. sinensis,
Echinopora gemmacea) in the Mombasa Marine Park and Reserve.

I am writing to find out whether anyone has measured, recorded or made any
field observations of corals (any species) spawning in East Africa or the
wider Western Indian Ocean. If so, I would like to find out the following:

1. Which coral species you observed spawning?
2. Where was spawning observed - if possible a reef/site name as well as
the country?
3. When was spawning observed - time of day, date, year?
4. Any studies that have been undertaken in the region on spawning &
fecundity?

Please note, I am interested in hearing any general observations made in the
field of spawning and am happy to summarise the results of my query back to
the list.

Regards Sangeeta
Sangeeta Mangubhai
PO Box 10135