[Coral-List] fragmentation

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Wed Aug 6 10:35:31 EDT 2003

I could not agree more with Dr. Treeck in that the ability to "base up" is
an important aspect of suitablity for fragementation.  However, we have
worked with specialized concrete bases that are capable of holding corals
that do not base.  This, of course, presumes transplanting in situ to a
stable substrate.

>From a basing stand point of view, we have found that an important aspect
for the more difficult corals is to actually embedd parts of the living
flesh into the 3 minute setting concrete we use.  This creates an injury
point which signals corals that they have been damaged.  Most corals that
naturally fragment themselfs after storms will go into a rigourous downward
growth mode (for 1-3 months) then enter a "rest" period (from 1-6 months)
then will resume branching growth.  Corals that are not in good heath before
plugging will be weakened and may die during this rigourous growth response
so it is important to start with high quality fragments.  This is one of the
reasons we use the method of taking the imperiled corals, plugging them and
returning them in situ as quickly as possible (usually less than 4 hours) so
that their are no additional stresses such as aquarium stress.  We have
found it to be unwise to attempt fragmentation with tough species during
high temperature (low D.O.) periods.  Also note that corals should not be
propogated or transplanted in situ during seasons of high algae growth as
this can be detremental to corals under stress that are less capable of
defending from overgrowth.  In general, faster growing corals are much more
sensitive to this than slower growing ones.

Thanks,

Todd Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation, Inc.
President, Reef Ball Development Group, Ltd.
6916 22nd Street West
Bradenton, FL 34207
941-752-0169 (Office)
941-752-1033 (Fax)