[Coral-List] No Harm Evident As Waste Dumping Continues In Gulf[Five barge trips haul 22 million with 178 million gallons still to go] (TampaTribune, 8/7/03)

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Thu Aug 7 11:49:24 EDT 2003

"Mexico announces plan to begin systematic disposal of all industral waste
into the center of the Gulf of Mexico follow the successful lead of the
Florida Department Of Enironmental's Piney Point project.  Mexico justifys
the program citing International Press which stated such programs "Have No
Harm Evident as Waste Dumping Continues."  Cuba, Texas,  Louisanna and
Alabama are considering similar programs because it will save millions of
dollars of waste disposal and treatment.  The President of Mexico thanks the
Florida DEP for its excellent work in documenting no harm from pollution."

...Just kidding....but it is food for thought!

A note to the scientists involved.  You guys may have great reasons for
doing this and I have no problem doing things that must be done because the
alternative choices are worse...but hey....don't scream to the world that
what you are doing is such a great thing...just do your jobs and get the
work done.  All of you as scientists KNOW that there is no way in a complex
marine environment to prove that dumping pollution causes no harm.  In fact,
I am sure all of you, taken out of whatever politics put you into this,
would agree that some harm is probably taking place.  Just be aware that the
rest of the world is watching and may use your words against you.

Thanks,

Todd Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foundation, Inc.
President, Reef Ball Development Group, Ltd.
6916 22nd Street West
Bradenton, FL 34207
941-752-0169 (Office)
941-752-1033 (Fax)