[Coral-List] Mapping procedure

wahszel wahszelee at pd.jaring.my
Fri Aug 8 03:43:43 EDT 2003

Dear Marianne,

Greetings!  I have been mapping shallow and patch reefs in Malaysia and
Borneo using the RoxAnn Seabed Classification System since 1996.  I started
with general habitat mapping; and managed work my way to discriminate the
reefs down to growth form types.  I am also doing the accuracy assessment
for such mapping method.

The system I used could record position, depth, seabed (growth form) type
and others simultaneously every second.  These logged data can be exported
to Surfer(TM) directly (without having to enter them manually) after field
trip!

>From my experience, it is hard to maneuver the boat and produce 'good'
transect lines if I use a boat smaller than 20ft.  Not only the wind and
wave would caused a snake-like transect line; the pitch and roll will also
affect the accuracy of the sonar readings.  Traveling speed is very crucial
too to ensure good quality data.

Wish you all the best for your work.

Cheers!

Wah Sze