[Coral-List] dinoflagellate Symbiodinium genome

Tom Doak tdoak at Princeton.EDU
Sat Aug 9 21:26:40 EDT 2003

Dear Colleagues,

We've been working for the last few months to craft a white paper
proposal to sequence the genome of the dinoflagellate, Symbiodinium.
The proposal is to be submitted to the National Health Genome
Research Institute (NHGRI) as part of their ongoing effort to
prioritize organisms for complete genomic sequencing
(<http://www.genome.gov/10001843>). The next NHGRI dead-line for
submission is October 10.
We have contacted a number of you already, as technical questions
have arisen. Now we are passing around the current draft of the
proposal for community comment. The strength of a NHGRI proposal
rests in large part on the enthusiasm and support of the community
that will use the genomic data. The data will be entirely public, a
condition of the NHGRI program, and help will be sought in annotating
the sequences as they appear.

The Symbiodinium proposal is available as a PDF at
http://oxytricha.princeton.edu/~acavalcanti/whitepaper.htm

A couple of words about ourselves are in order. Ove Hoegh-Guldberg
(University of Queensland, AU) has his primary interests in coral
bleaching, and the complex interactions between coral and symbiont
that are involved. Bob Moore is completing a PhD in "Symbiodinium
biology" with Dee Carter (University of Sydney, AU), and will soon
move on to a postdoctoral position in John Logsdon's lab (University
of Iowa). Tom Doak (University of Utah, soon to be at Princeton) has
promoted the Oxytricha trifallax (ciliate) genome project and has a
general interest in alveolate evolution.

Aside from any general comments, corrections, and suggestions you may
have for us (remember, there is a 10 page limit and we are over that
now), we have a few particular needs.
*  We are trying to catalog all planned or on-going dinoflagellate
EST-or comparable-projects.  We believe that any such project will be
helped by a single compete dinoflagellate genome project.
*  We would like to hear from any dinoflagellate lab that already has
a bioinformatics component, and so would be immediately placed to use
the genomic sequence.
* Successful whitepapers are reliant on strong letters of support. If
you would be willing to write a letter of support, please send us a
brief synopsis of what you would like to contribute. We will actually
have to pick and choose letters that we think will particularly
help-not a large number of letters can be submitted.  The purpose of
the letters is two-fold: to prove that there is significant need and
enthusiasm for the sequence, but also to put forth salient arguments
that we haven't had room to make strongly in the white paper. Issues
bearing on human health are particularly welcome: this is a NIH
program.
* A difficult aspect of proposals such as this, is deciding on and
arguing for a single species, to represent an entire phylum of
diverse and important species. Two of us are Symbiodinium workers,
but we feel that we have made legitimate arguments for why
Symbiodinium should be the first-not the only-dinoflagellate
sequenced. While this can become a divisive issue, we hope that the
dinoflagellate community will reach agreement.

We have been rushing to have this out before the Halifax congress on
symbiosis. We realize that this meeting is not generally
representative of dinoflagellate workers (we wish we had been
collected enough to get to the Oregon phycology meeting this summer,
but we weren't), but for those who will be there, Ove and Tom will be
in attendance and more than happy to talk about the project.
We apologize that some of you have received this mailing multiple
times; we are trying to assure a broad distribution.
While any three of us would be happy to correspond with any of you,
Tom is acting as the primary coordinator of the project.

Yours truly,

Tom Doak	<tdoak at princeton.edu>
Bob Moore	<rmoo5270 at mail.usyd.edu.au>
Ove Hoegh-Guldberg	<OveH at uq.edu.au>