[Coral-List] environmental /ecological disadvantages of marinereserves

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Wed Aug 13 18:28:03 EDT 2003

A marine reserve is fundamentally a minimization, of anthropogenic
disturbance. If one defines a 'healthy" ecosystem in terms of what it
would be like naturally, then putting in a reserve (= removing many
disturbances) is almost always going to be a step towards ecological
health.

There are socioeconomic and political tradeoffs in putting in reserves,
not the least of which is the tendency in some areas to set up a reserve
and ignore rational coastal management outside the reserve. However,
raising this issue is often a good way to leverage action on the larger
scale.

Overall, reserves and other MPAs are among the most ecologically and
environmentally sound tools available for reef management.

Cheers!

 John

John W. McManus, PhD
Director, National Center for Caribbean Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences (RSMAS)
University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway
Miami, Florida 33149.
jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Tel. (305) 361-4814
Fax (305) 361-4910