[Coral-List] environmental /ecological disadvantages of marinereserves

Charles Delbeek delbeek at waquarium.org
Thu Aug 14 15:07:03 EDT 2003

At 06:28 PM 8/13/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>A marine reserve is fundamentally a minimization, of anthropogenic
>disturbance. If one defines a 'healthy" ecosystem in terms of what it
>would be like naturally, then putting in a reserve (= removing many
>disturbances) is almost always going to be a step towards ecological
>health.
>
>There are socioeconomic and political tradeoffs in putting in reserves,
>not the least of which is the tendency in some areas to set up a reserve
>and ignore rational coastal management outside the reserve. However,
>raising this issue is often a good way to leverage action on the larger
>scale.
>
>Overall, reserves and other MPAs are among the most ecologically and
>environmentally sound tools available for reef management.
>
>Cheers!
>
>  John

>John W. McManus, PhD
>Director, National Center for Caribbean Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
>Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences (RSMAS)
>University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway
>Miami, Florida 33149.
>jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
>Tel. (305) 361-4814
>Fax (305) 361-4910
>www.ncoremiami.org

Although I agree with the above, it always seems a double-standard exists
in many MPA's where collecting tropical fish is banned but recreational
line fishing is not. As a diver I enjoy seeing large fish not just small
tropicals. Sometimes political and special interest influences can outweigh
the overall environmental benefits.

Aloha!

J. Charles Delbeek
Aquarium Biologist