[Coral-List] Shannon Weaver

Mark Vermeij Mark.Vermeij at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 22 14:35:31 EST 2003

Dear all,
For a comparitive study I would be interested in diversity indices on
coral communities throughout the Caribbean bassin. I was thinking of
Shannon Weaver indices as they correct for "abundance", but surprisingly
little can be found regarding this measure related to Caribbean corals.
E.g. a search with google results in information on line-dancing
(amongst other interesting topics), but no relevant information in
relation to corals was found. If you have such data, or know a place
were to find this, I would greatly appreciate your suggestions.
Basically what I'm looking for is a detailed quantification of coral
abundance (either through number or cover), that includes the majority
of corals known to be present at that location. Based on this
information the calculation of the SW-index for this location should be
simple.

Thanks for your help and with best regards,
Mark

--
Dr. Mark Vermeij

Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies (RSMAS/UM)

NOAA Fisheries, Southeast Science Center
75 Virginia Beach Dr, Miami, FL 33149 USA
Tel: +1 305-361-4230,
Fax: +1 305-361-4499
E-mail: Mark.Vermeij at noaa.gov

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/groups/cimas/