[Coral-List] What is a fossil coral

Robert W. Buddemeier buddrw at kgs.ku.edu
Fri Jul 11 07:51:19 EDT 2003

Andy, and others --

I suggest this approach is a misidentification of the problem. The real
difficulty is this line from your message:

"In addition, material referred to by the aquarium
industry as
 live rock
 and
reef substrate
 are also currently covered
under the treaty and must be reported as
Scleractinia
. "

This is scientifically such a bizarre misclassification that there is no way you are going to be able to 'fix' it in a technically acceptable fashion by diddling with the definition of something that really IS (or was) a scleractinian.

Rather than attacking the problem through the fossil coral definition (which I can easily see criminalizing the inadvertent possession of road gravel from many island or coastal locations), I suggest that it makes a lot more sense to target the characteristics of 'live rock' or 'reef substrate' that you want to exclude.

Examples:  Is it wet?  Does it contain anything that looks organic? Easy tests, and not dependent on fossil interpretation.  To avoid the problem of authorizing ornamental skeleton import, I suggest that all that is needed is a size limit -- individual pieces and total shipment.  A sample of a few cm3 is enough for ID and most chemical/radiometric analyses (an a few kg of same could represent a major sampling expedition, if accompanied by survey and photos), but would be unattractive for decorative purposes and uneconomic as a unit of import for bulk (e.g., substrate) use.

No matter how sympathetic we are to noble intentions, I think the scientific community does nobody any favors by acquiescing in the misuse and distortion of scientific concepts and terminology.

Bob Buddemeier

Andy Bruckner wrote:

>Dear listers,
>
>I am seeking a workable definition for a fossil coral that could be
>adopted by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species
>(CITES) and used by Law Enforcement when monitoring coral shipments
>(exports and imports). As most of you are aware, all stony corals (all
>species of scleractinain corals, as well as the genera Millepora,
>Stylaster, Distichopora, Heliopora and Tubipora) are currently listed on
>Appendix II of CITES.  In addition, material referred to by the aquarium
>industry as
 live rock
 and
reef substrate
 are also currently covered
>under the treaty and must be reported as
Scleractinia
.   Fossil corals