[Coral-List] Infrared responses

Mark Vermeij Mark.Vermeij at noaa.gov
Thu Jul 24 14:18:59 EDT 2003

Dear all,

The number of emails I received after my question regarding IR-video
techniques for reef monitoring at night were numerous. However, almost
all of them requested the passing of relevant finding should I find
them.
Well, to keep you all informed, I haven't found anything potentially
useful. IR is tricky underwater as it attenuates quickly thereby
severely reducing the distance over which it can be used. The systems
that you'll find if you search on the internet are often suffering from
this given their weak lighting. Promised ranges in which animals can be
seen often have to converted from feet to inches. Some form of serious
lighting seems therefore be a essential part of this system. Some
people suggested to work with red light instead.

Vaguely, I have heard stories of people builing set-ups themselves but
I haven't been able to locate them. If I find something I'll let you
know.

Best regards from the Keys where some corals have started spawning last
week,

Mark

Dr. M. Vermeij
Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies (CIMAS)
Rosenstiel School for Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)at the
University of Miami/
NOAA Southeast Science Fisheries Center
75 Virginia Beach Dr
Miami, FL 33149 U.S.A.