[Coral-List] length-weight relationships for exploited reef fishes

Mark Tupper mtupper at guam.uog.edu
Wed Oct 8 22:38:13 EDT 2003

Apologies for cross-postings.

Dear listers,

I am attempting to estimate biomass from visual estimates of abundance and length for reef fishes in Palau.  I have been unable to find information on length-weight relationships for the following species:

Bolbometpon muricatum (bumphead parrotfish)
Cetoscarus bicolor (bicolor parrotfish)
Hipposcarus longiceps (Pacific longnose parrotfish)
Plectropomus areolatus (squaretailed coralgrouper)
Plectropomus laevis (giant coralgrouper)

I have checked FishBase but no luck there.  If anyone can supply me with a length-weight regression for these species, I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks,

Mark Tupper

Dr. Mark H. Tupper, Assistant Professor
University of Guam Marine Laboratory
UOG Station, Mangilao, Guam, 96923, USA
Tel. (671) 735-2185; Fax (671) 734-6767
http://www.uog.edu/marinelab/tupper

Coordinator, Pacific Islands Marine Protected Areas Research Group
http://www.uog.edu/marinelab/mpa/mparg.html