[Coral-List] RE: CO2 and bleaching

Gattuso, Jean-Pierre gattuso at obs-vlfr.fr
Thu Oct 16 12:37:00 EDT 2003

CoralListers:

I just want to briefly report that bleaching was
never observed during the experiments on the
effects of elevated pCO2 on primary
production,respiration and calcification of a
coral and a reef mesocosm carried out by
Stéphanie Reynaud and Nicolas Leclercq. pCO2
ranged between ca. 200 and 900 µatm. I am
appending the references of their recent papers
on this issue.

Cheers,
jp

------------------
Leclercq N., Gattuso J.-P. & Jaubert J., 2000.
CO2 partial pressure controls the calcification
rate of a coral community. Global Change Biology
6(3): 329-334.

Leclercq N., Gattuso J.-P. & Jaubert J., 2002.
Primary production, respiration, and
calcification of a coral reef mesocosm under
increased CO2 partial pressure. Limnology and
Oceanography 47(2): 558-564.

Reynaud S., Leclercq N., Romaine-Lioud S.,
Ferrier-Pagès C., Jaubert J. & Gattuso J.-P., in
press. Interacting effects of CO2 partial
pressure and temperature on photosynthesis and
calcification in a scleractinian coral. Global
Change Biology.

Jean-Pierre Gattuso | mailto:gattuso at obs-vlfr.fr