[Coral-List] Call for Abstracts: Coral Reef Restoration and Remediation Mini Symposium 4-20, 10th ICRS

Precht, Bill Bprecht at pbsj.com
Thu Oct 23 12:30:06 EDT 2003

Dear Coral List:

CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

We welcome all coral reef scientists to submit abstracts for oral or poster
presentation for
consideration at the 10th International Coral Reef Symposium in Okinawa
(June 28-July 2, 2004).

http://www.plando.co.jp/icrs2004/

I am encouraging the submission of abstracts for "Theme 4: Towards a system
where humans and coral reefs coexist."  Specifically, there are two sessions
on coral reef restoration that I would like to bring to your attention.

Mini-Symposium 4-20 The Art and Science of Coral Reef Restoration (Organizer
- William F. Precht)

and

Mini-Symposium 4-21 Coral Reef Restoration and Remediation (Organizers -
Richard Dodge, Alistair Edwards, David Gilliam, Andrew Heyward, and Makoto
Omori).

___________________________________

The proposed session I am organizing (4-20) is designed toward developing a
scientifically-based, conceptual framework for improving ecologically
defensible reef restoration strategies that can be transferred and used for
a wide variety of man-induced disturbances, worldwide.  Such a framework
will assist both scientists and managers in their decision making process
from the initial assessment of an injury, through conceptual restoration
design, and finally to implementation and monitoring.

Although the legacy of coral reef restoration is still to be written, the
present technology in ocean engineering and construction allows for almost
any restoration design to be implemented.  This technology gives reef
scientists the ability to use reef restoration as an "acid test" for our
understanding of these systems. Detailing both practical and theoretical
approaches of coral reef restoration, this session should serve as a guide
for the future.

Reef restoration is an attempt to overcome - through manipulation - the
factors that restrict natural recovery.  In so doing, reef scientists are
given a powerful opportunity to test our understanding of reef structure,
development and function.  To date, however, most restoration operations
have been dominated by engineering or financial considerations, but the
underlying logic to successful restoration must be rooted in an integrated,
multidisciplinary approach that included engineering, geologic, biologic and
socioeconomic factors.

Reef restoration, therefore, provides a unique and fundamental challenge to
our understanding and value or reef ecosystems.  It allows scientists to
test and evaluate individual aspects of reef development and ecosystem
function precisely.  It tells us what we know, what we don't, and what will
work in practice.  The implications are to see whether, in light of our
present knowledge, we can recreate a reef that functions - and functions
properly.

Although the science of reef restoration is in its infancy, we must glean as
much as we can from the projects completed to date.  As well, we must borrow
from the vast knowledge gained in performing terrestrial, wetland, and
coastal restoration programs.  Certainly, we will learn more from our
failures, because failure will reveal inadequacies in these projects.  To
date, most coral reef restoration efforts have failed to provide a
multidisciplinary approach, where all aspects of reef damage and function
are addressed.  These attempts at restoration have not been commensurate
with the degree of damage and accordingly, have missed their mark.  Success
in future efforts will be based on our ability and political will to
implement multidisciplinary, scientifically-based restoration efforts with
ecologically definable and testable goals.  Hopefully, this session will set
the foundation upon which future successful restoration programs will be
based.

Coral reef restoration is both an art and a science if performed well.  It
is to be hoped that the "lessons learned" from this session will help to
develop successful restoration efforts into the future. As well, because of
the infancy of this "new" applied and innovative science, the continued
sharing of information will be vital to improving restoration strategies
over time.

Please visit http://www.plando.co.jp/icrs2004/ for instructions on abstract
submission, deadlines, registration and other information.

Sincerely,

Bill

William F. Precht
Ecological Sciences Program Manager