[Coral-List] Organics in Sand Sample

Shane Graber SGraber at sauder.com
Thu Oct 30 16:55:39 EST 2003

I am working on a project where I need to be able to quantify the percent
organics bound in a sample of sand taken from a marine location.  Are there
any standard procedures for determining the organic content of a sand
sample?  At this point all I'm interested in obtaining is what percent of
the sample is inorganic and what percent is organic.  In my mind a simple
ashing test seems to be the most logical test for this end result.  If
anyone has any procedures for determining this (or tips), I would greatly
appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,

Shane Graber
Sr. Research Chemist