[Coral-List] Mass spawning at Cubagua, east island from Venezuela

Sebastian Rodríguez cianobacteria at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 20:35:34 EDT 2003

We observed the spawning of D. strigosa and M. annularis the 6th and 7th night after full moon (August 18th and 19th of 2003, respectively) . Thirty percent (30%, N=10) of D. strigosa colonies spawned partially (<25% of their surface) on Aug-18 between 22:15 and 23:25 h. The proportion of spawning colonies was the same for Aug-19 (21:45 and 22:05 h), but spawning was stronger (>75% of the surface). Ten percent of the colonies spawned both days. On Aug-19 we also observed M. annularis spawning between 22:23 and 22:35 h (10% of the colonies and less than 25% of the surface). We did not observed spawning in ten colonies of each of the following species: D. clivosa, C. natans and S. sidereal. Bastidas et al.(submitted) also observed the mass spawning of M. annularis the 6th and 7th night after the full moon of August 2002 at Los Roques and Morrocoy National Parks. However, they only observed D. strigosa spawning during the 6th and 7th day after September’s full moon, and not during
 August, as we report.

Pedro Sebastián Rodríguez cianobacteria at yahoo.com

Alejandro Tagliafico

Adriana Alvizu

Luis Figueira

Escuela de Ciencias Aplicadas del Mar, Universidad de Oriente