[Coral-List] teachers guide

HGENTHE at aol.com HGENTHE at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 14:10:01 EDT 2003

Hello all
Thanks for the many responses to my request for Teacher's Guide info for
'entertaining' and important information on human impacts on coral reefs which we
can use as 'sidebar material' for our teacher's resource guide. The search
continues. . .

I would like to provide teachers with tales to tell their students, very
anecdotal type stories, which will entertain and capture the interest, as well as
educating and informing kids about human impacts (and natural impacts for that
matter) on coral reefs!

I'd like to supplement the basic info which is widely available on many of
your  websites, and give it some buzz, with stories which local people in coral
reef countries, particlulary in the Pacific Region where story telling is
tradition, can relate to and understand.

Again, the subjects are the usual suspects: bleaching episodes; logging,
deforestation and sedimentation; sewage and chemical runoff and eutrophication,
and coral diseases; destructive fishing, particularly stories of dynamite and
cyanide etc use; overfishing; as well as conservation success stories - ie good
school action projects, working MPAs or conservation areas; and I'd
particularly like to get a few good examples of traditional management (stuff that
village kids in the outer islands, particularly, have heard or know from their
elders).

Again, many thanks for your help. I look forward to hearing from you. And
we'll of course credit you and your organization with a  byline with the
sidebars! And will keep you posted through our web site with info on the roll out date
and distribution of the Sustainable Reefs resources from Ocean Futures
Society.
best,
Henry Genthe
Ocean Futures Society