[Coral-List] Porites genome

Craig Bingman cbingman at panix.com
Wed Sep 17 12:07:37 EDT 2003

I'm not sure that I understand why a coral that is primarily useful for
fossil/paleoclimate studies is the best choice for a genomics project.

Personally, I think that the community needs to figure out coral biology's
closest equivalent to a "lab rat" or "fruit fly"  You need to pick the
organism that is most ameniable to laboratory manipulations and studies on
living organisms.  Or you need to find a target organism that will provide
the most useful leads on the reagents needed to do field studies on mRNA's
or proteins isolated from specimens in the wild.

If no such reef-forming coral exists, then it is *possible* that the
community would be better served by picking another model cnidarian that
is more conducive to laboratory manipulation.  I'd personally be
disappointed if the genomics work was done on something other than a
reef-forming coral, but that needed to be said.

Craig Bingman
Department of Biochemistry
University of Wisconsin--Madison and
Center for Eukaryotic Structural Genomics
cbingman at biochem.wisc.edu
cbingman at panix.com