[Coral-List] coral genome

Robert Buddemeier buddrw at kgs.ku.edu
Wed Sep 17 12:48:23 EDT 2003

Brief followup comments:

Thanks, Mike, for the summary.  Seems to me there may a fundamental
mismatch between the desire for a growing, reproduce-in-captivity
species and the implicit virtues of a long-lived widespread species.
Given the need to get positive results on the first round, experimental
feasibility is important -- so I would (reluctantly) step back from
Porites and go with Julian's suggestion of Pocillopora, or a robust and
well-characterized Acropora.  In general that criterion would tend to
argue against massive growth forms in the first round.

However, I would like to reinforce Doug's point -- the massive Porites
have the greatest colony longevity that has been widely and
systematically demonstrated experimentally, and are widely used as
environmental sensors.  That, plus distribution, plus both geological
and ecological importance, should keep them pretty high on the list.

Somebody has to say it, so I'll be the bad guy -- the genus selected
should have well-destributed and reasonably inportant species in both
the Atlantic and Indo-Pacific.  It might be somewhat defensible to pick
a genus that is in the Indo-Pacific and not  the Caribbean, but
Montastrea just doesn't make it in terms of generalizability.

And, a possibly outdated comment on the message below -- I suspect
lobata and lutea may be closer to sibling species than cousins:  when I
was swimming around in the central Pacific and talking to people who ID
corals, the consensus then was that the two grade into each other pretty
indistinguishably.

Bob Buddemeier