[Coral-List] coral genome

EricHugo at aol.com EricHugo at aol.com
Wed Sep 17 23:34:59 EDT 2003

In a message dated 9/17/03 7:31:27 AM, julian at twolittlefishies.com writes:

> Regarding requirement 8, what about Pocillopora damicornis?

Recongizing the length of this thread, I hesitate to add to it, but I agree
with this, as well.

P. damicornis and S. pistillata arguably are already virtually "coral guinea
pigs" and are widespread, important hermatypes, and have a large literature
base associated with them.

In the Caribbean, I also agree that the acroporids and Montastraea are the
logical choices.   In fact the corals mentioned above were already selected by
CHDC as candidates for coral "lab rats" in culture.

As perhaps mentioned, their life histories are also perhaps more
representative of the majority of corals.

Best,

Eric Borneman
University of Houston