[Coral-List] Research Diving on the Great Barrier Reef

Jim Cooper wjcooper at uchicago.edu
Sat Sep 20 18:28:45 EDT 2003

Damselfish Research Project Seeks Assistant

I am searching for a SCUBA qualified assistant to participate in a
damselfish research project based at the Orpheus Island Research
Station on the Great Barrier Reef
(http://www.jcu.edu.au/field/oirs/).

Applicants must be available from Nov. 24, 2003 - Jan. 14, 2004.

You will need to provide a diving certification card, a log book
validating at least 15 hours of experience after training dives, a
medical certificate dated within the past 12 months stating that you
are fit to SCUBA dive, and your own dive gear minus tanks and weight
belts.

The project is focused on the evolution and biomechanical function of
damselfish skulls.  We will be observing sunrise spawning around the
full moons in Dec. and Jan., placing artificial nests within
damselfish territories, collecting fertilized eggs and embryos,
rearing larval damselfish in aquaria at the marine lab, and doing
some limited collecting of adult damselfish using anesthetics (clove
oil) and/or spear.

I will pay for residence/bench fees at the research station as well
as food costs during your stay.  Assistants will be acknowledged in
all publications that involve work done at Orpheus.

Strong preference will be given to biology or oceanography students
with dive research experience who reside in Australia.  Exceptional
applicants from other countries will be also be considered.

Any fellow researchers who will be working at Orpheus during this
time are welcome to contact me to see if we can work reciprocally
with each other as dive partners, etc.

Contact information:
W. James Cooper
University of Chicago & Field Museum