[Coral-List] Using the Nemo momentum

Marianne Gilbert marianne2 at ekit.com
Fri Apr 16 11:35:01 EDT 2004

Hi listers,

We all saw the power cartoons/animations can have on people, especially the
new generation. I was curious as to whether anyone had thought about using
this medium for further educating youngsters and their parents (particularly for
aquarium fish releases in our waters) while taking advantage of the Nemo
phenomenon. I could very well see the Finding Nemo characters that
escaped the tank in a follow-up of what happens once free again that would
educate people about the dangers of releasing aquarium fish. Perhaps Pixar
already has ideas along those lines. Another approach could be to make
small clips with completely different characters that could be freed in the
wrong ocean and showing various scenarios as to their fate such as having
them show despair or becoming too strong or numerous for the local fish to
compete with them. All these would end with a strong message aiming to
discourage people from releasing their pets. Of course these would need to
somehow have a happy ending and be funny but that could surely be done.
These clips could be posted on the web at aquarium sites or as links off Nemo
websites or other similar sites for young fish enthusiasts. It might be possible
to play them on TV during cartoons too.

I know that The Ocean Conservancy and many other partners are involved
with a project called Shifting Baselines, trying to use comedy and a
Hollywood-style approach to raise awareness to marine issues. I think this is
a great idea to reach a broader audience. The issue of fish release and its
impacts seems like it would fit in the Shifting Baselines mandate and
approach. Anyone affiliated with them and reading this thinks my idea would
be worth exploring?

Anyhow, I would like to propose the idea to the list. If anyone thinks it has
merit and would be interested to pursue this, I do have some ideas for short
scenarios and would be happy to collaborate and/or hear about the follow-
ups.

Sincerely,

Marianne

Marianne Gilbert, MSc.