[Coral-List] seeking info on coral parasite

SFerse at aol.com SFerse at aol.com
Mon Apr 26 08:10:53 EDT 2004

Dear coral listers,
I recently finished the field study for my masters degree in Java/Indonesia. One of the species I was working with, Pavona cactus, was infected with a parasite, apparently a nudibranch, a few weeks after the beginning of my experiment on the local reef. Infestation lead to high mortality (>80 %) within a few months. The parasites were small (1-3 mm), of a brown color similar to that of the coral host, and had several appandices on each side, giving in the superficial appearance of a polychaete.
For my thesis, I am seeking any available information (papers, postings, personal observations) on the nature of these parasites. Are there any observations from other coral species? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Please feel free to send me an e-mail directly at sferse at aol.com.

Thank you

Sebastian Ferse

Sebastian Ferse

Pappelstraße 42a