[Coral-List] Re: Destructive Fishing Practices

Stephen G. Dunbar sdunbar at ns.llu.edu
Fri Apr 30 13:59:58 EDT 2004

Amanda,

While I agree that there has been a great lack of education resulting in
the devastating toll on coral reefs in the Caribbean and, in fact, around
the world, what we must draw from this are some important lessons. Some may
suggest that the lack of education, especially with regards to the marine
environment, is a result of our distance from and ignorance about the
marine world, until only recently when much of the general public (and we,
as scientists) have been able to access this environment for themselves by
the use of SCUBA. This is when the general public has, at last, realized
the importance of marine conservation issues. So, education does play a
vital role.

I also agree that poverty issues are key ones for developing nations.
However, the importance here is that environmental destruction not be seen
as the only possible way to address the needs of the poor. Rather than a
loose-loose situation in which developing nations loose their marine (and
other natural) resources, then loose the important tourism sectors that
they rely on because there is 'nothing left to see', there are ways in
which win-win situations can be devised. Examples of win-wins are
increasing when it comes to coral reefs and MPA's, but education and a fair
return of assets to those reducing their 'take' and increasing their
'stake' are key.

This is a very important thread and I appreciate the inputs of all.
Cheers
Steve

>Let us not fail to acknowledge the crippling social and environmental
>legacy of colonialism that leads to lack of education and opportunity in
>most Caribbean nations.  Environmental managers cannot possibly implement
>effective conservation policies without sweeping economic and social
>changes.  It is difficult for people in the grip of "grinding poverty" to
>worry about environmental issues - survival usually tops the list.
>

>**************************************
>Amanda Bourque
>Biologist
>Biscayne National Park