[Coral-List] re-attachment of coral colonies

MENDES, Judith Marie judith.mendes at uwimona.edu.jm
Thu Aug 12 13:32:54 EDT 2004

Dear Coral-list,

I clicked on the link provided by Reef Ball Inc. and found out that:

The corals are cut into fragments using "special tools and methods".
That they are then embedded in "special cement" that contains
"additives", and finally attached with "special underwater epoxy".

This was followed by a link to purchase the aforementioned "special"
items. I am disappointed that Reef ball Inc. is allowed to advertise on
Coral-list, a forum for scientists to share information. Does anyone
else feel this way?

Judith Mendes

Todd Barber wrote:

>Superglue (Gel) works great for in tank use..we use Jurassic Gel
available
>for use in restoring fossils.  If you are using them in the ocean we
suggest
>using a full coral attachment system (see
>http://www.reefball.com/reefballcoalition/coralprop.htm)
>
>Cordially, "Restoring Our World's Oceanic Ecosystems"" Todd Barber
Chairman
>reefball at reefball.com Reef Ball Foundation, Inc. 6916 22nd Street West
>Bradenton, FL 34207 http://www.artificialreefs.org (All Reef Ball Sites)
>http://www.reefball.org (Reef Ball Foundation) http://www.reefball.com