[Coral-List] Salinity and Live Corals

Steve Coles slcoles at bishopmuseum.org
Tue Aug 31 15:38:56 EDT 2004

Charles,

Check the reference Coles, S. L. 1993.  Experimental comparison of salinity tolerances of reef corals from the Arabian Gulf and Hawaii.  Evidence for hyperhaline adaptation. Proc. 7th Intern. Coral Reef Symp. 1:231-238 for info on the salinity limits of corals before and after elevated salinity acclimation in Hawaii and the Arabian Gulf.  I don't know where you might be thinking of in the Red Sea (certainly not the whole Red Sea), but 40 ppt is the limit of coral occurrance in the Gulf, so I very much doubt that 42 ppt would be tolerated by any species.