[Coral-List] Coral Calcium

Tiffany Leite tiffanyl at projectaware.org
Tue Aug 31 19:39:57 EDT 2004

Hello All,

I've been researching the coral calcium craze online. Most of the information I've found is from the manufacturers themselves debating the benefits of fossilized versus marine coral sources.

I don't approve of any coral collection - fossilized or not - and don't believe the hype about the health benefits. I'm writing an article opposing coral calcium presented from the environmental side. Does anyone have any recent studies or articles to refer me to on the effects of dredging the "dead" coral underwater and mining the fossilized coral on land? Details about these processes would be very helpful.

The coral miners say that their collection process is more environmentally friendly. Those that dredge for coral underwater argue that their process contributes to the health of live coral. Although they both are regulated by law, it seems there are still damaging effects to both methods.

Thank you,
Tiffany Leite