[Coral-List] Sahara dust in the Virgin Islands

Melissa Keyes mekvinga at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 18:10:21 EST 2004

Hello, fellow Listers,

I've lived on St. Croix, US Virgin Islands, since 1988, and can attest to the air quality, or lack there-of, when we get a nice dose of that Sahara Dust.  The sky and sunsets are similar to Los Angeles on the worst of days.  Downright pinkish-dishwater-brown along the horizon, with murky gray sunsets.

And folks with asthma or other breathing problems have troubles duing these times.  The dust accumulates on the shrouds of my sailboat thick enough to clearly see.  I wipe my finger along the wire, and send messy samples to friends.  I read that this dust is full of microbes and DDT.  Booooooooooooo.

Can there be a cure?

Cheers,

Melissa Keyes

s/v Vinga, St. Croix / Bonaire