[Coral-List] UK stakeholder meeting

icri icri at wcmc.org.uk
Mon Feb 16 10:10:31 EST 2004

13th February 2004

Dear Colleague,

UK Coral Reef Stakeholder Meeting, 16 April, Cambridge

The UK and the Seychelles governments, supported by the UNEP World
Conservation Monitoring Centre, are hosting the Secretariat of the
International Coral Reef Initiative (ICRI) until 2005.  One of our main
aims is to ensure greater active participation by governments and
stakeholders in ICRI.  We would therefore like to invite you to the next
UK Stakeholder Meeting scheduled for 16th April, 2pm till 5 pm at
UNEP-WCMC Cambridge.

The purpose of the meeting will be to:
1. introduce ICRI and the reasons why we are hosting ICRI;
2. address what we are doing with respect to coral reef issues; and
3. give an opportunity to the stakeholders to express their needs with
respect to ICRI.

ICRI is a partnership amongst nations and organisations established in
1994 to stop and reverse the global decline in the condition of coral
reefs and related ecosystems such as seagrass beds and mangrove stands.
Hence, it seeks to implement the recommendations of the Rio Earth Summit
(Agenda 21, Ch.17) and other international Conventions and agreements
for the benefit of coral reefs and related ecosystems.

The ICRI partnership approach thus far has been to mobilise governments
and a wide range of other stakeholders in an effort to improve
management practices, increase capacity and political support, and share
information on the health of these ecosystems.

For greater participation and involvement in the meeting we welcome you
to submit ideas of topics that you would like to see addressed.  These
will be incorporated into the meeting agenda for discussion.  Please
send all ideas to icri at unep-wcmc.org

For more information on ICRI please visit the ICRI Forum website at
http://www.icriforum.org

We would appreciate it if you could confirm your acceptance of this
invitation.

Sincerely yours,

Robert Baldi,
Marine Environment (international)
Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs,

This E-mail and any attachments are private, intended solely for
the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient,
they have been sent to you in error: any use of information in
them is strictly prohibited.

The employer reserves the right to monitor the content of
the message and any reply received.