[Coral-List] Follow-up: Scientist Statement on Deep-Sea Corals

Sara Maxwell sara at mcbi.org
Tue Feb 17 18:57:48 EST 2004

Apologies for cross-postings

Dear list-serve members,
Many thanks to all who participated in signing the Scientists' Statement
on Protecting the World's Deep-sea Coral and Sponge Ecosystems
circulated by Marine Conservation Biology Institute.  We formally
released the consensus statement endorsed by over a thousand of the
world's foremost biologists  at the annual meeting of the American
Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS ) on February 15,
calling for governments and the United Nations to protect imperiled
deep-sea coral and sponge ecosystems. This historic proclamation -
signed by 1,136 scientists from 69 countries, more than any other
concerning a specific marine environmental issue - signifies
unprecedented concern by experts in marine sciences and conservation
biology.

The release of the statement is resulting in a flurry of media coverage.
One such story by the BBC can be found at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3491501.stm.  (If you are
interested in a full list of media coverage, please contact me directly.
To view the statement, full list of signers, news release and deep-sea
coral and sponge images and video clips, I encourage you to visit
www.mcbi.org <http://www.mcbi.org/> .)

We express our sincerest gratitude for voicing your concern for these
important ecosystems, and for the organisms, such as fish, sea turtles
and marine mammals, which rely on them.  Together we have heightened
awareness not only for these deep-sea ecosystems, but for the oceans as
a whole.

Sincerely,
Marine Conservation Biology Institute

Sara Maxwell