[Coral-List] Optimal fixatives for coral tissues??

Szmant, Alina szmanta at uncw.edu
Tue Jan 13 14:03:11 EST 2004

Hi Shelley:

I used a fixative called Helly's [also known as Zenkers when made as below with the ZnCl2] for many years and it works well for corals:

1000 gm Zn Cl2
500 gm K dichromate
20 L distilled water

Above is stable indefinitely.  For use, add 5 ml of formaldehyde (37 to 40 %) to each 100 ml of Helly's

Decalcification is critical to getting good coral tissue preps.  The folowing is better than straight HCl solutions:

0.7 gm/L EDTA
0.008 gm/L KNa tartrate
0.14 gm/L Na tartrate
99.2 ml/L conc. HCl (12N)

Change acid at least twice per day and keep removing crud from decalcifying surfaces (endolithic sponges, etc).  Wash for ca. 12 with running tap water (overnight) to remove acid before dehydrating to embed, etc.

Techniques were learned from PaulYevich, US EPA and found in a short  technical manual that is not generally available and I am not sure if it was published:

Yevich, P and C. Barszcz.  1981.  Preparation of aquatic animals for histopathological examination.  US EPA, Environmental Monitoring and Support Laboratory, Cincinnati Ohio USA

Dr. Alina M. Szmant
Coral Reef Research Group
Professor of Biology
Center for Marine Science
University of North Carolina at Wilmington
5600  Marvin K. Moss Lane
Wilmington  NC  28409-5928
tel  (910)962-2362  fax  (910)962-2410
email  szmanta at uncw.edu