[Coral-List] RE: Optimal fixatives for coral tissues

James Rolfe Guest scip9051 at nus.edu.sg
Wed Jan 14 09:41:38 EST 2004

Hi Shelley,

You're right when you say there is no standardised method for histological processing of coral tissue. I'm not sure if there is one optimal method that can be applied in any situation. Personally, I think it is better to apply the most appropriate method for the job in hand.

The most common method is to use 10% seawater formalin, embed in parafin wax and stain with Mayer's Haemotoxilin and Eosin. I have been looking at the gametogenic cycles of certain corals and got better results from using a 5% seawater-formalin-Zenker's fixative (add 50g zinc chloride, 25g potassium dichromate per litre of solution) and stain with Aniline Blue/Azocarmine G as used by Glynn et al (1994), Marine Biology 118 p 191-208. A really useful book with many fixation and staining techniques is Luna (1968) Manual of histological staining methods of the armed forces institute of pathology, 3rd Ed, McGraw Hill, New York.

If you plan to do histopathology combined with molecular techniques (e.g. fluorescent in situ hybridisation) you might fix with 4% paraformaldehyde. Gluteraldehyde/Osmium gives very good preservation and is generally used for doing EM work, but has been used for examination of coral diseases by light microscopy, see Bythell et al (2002) Histopathological methods for the investigation of microbial communities associated with disease lesions in reef corals LETT APPL MICROBIOL 34 (5): 359-364.

I hope these comments are useful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

James

Message: 2