[Coral-List] Re: Conch as artificial reef

Karen McLeod overholk at science.oregonstate.edu
Fri Jan 23 18:51:03 EST 2004

Hi Kirstie -
In my experience based on research conducted in the Bahamas (near Lee
Stocking Island), conch shells made great substrates for the settlement of
small fishes such as damselfish and wrasses.  However, no corals (not even
fire coral!) recruited to these shells over a 3 year period.  I would
suggest using them in combination with other substrates to increase the
diversity of potential recruits (of both fish and inverts), rather than
using only conch shells.  What kind of pilot study are you planning to do?

Good luck!

Karen McLeod
COMPASS, Oregon State University