[Coral-List] Percent cover to biomass

Marah Newman mjnewman at ucsd.edu
Tue Jan 27 19:43:15 EST 2004

Dear All,

I am trying to determine if there has been any work conducted in the past
that provides conversions from estimates of percent cover to living biomass
of coral tissue.  I am conducting surveys of corals (most likely using
point-intercept method) but in addition to coral cover estimates, I also
need biomass. I can do some estimates of surface area to account for the 3-d
structure of the reef, but I still need to figure out a way to get some sort
of g/m^2 estimate.  Does anyone know if work on this has ever been conducted
and where I can find it?

Thanks so much,

Marah Newman

Marah Newman