[Coral-List] RE: coral nomenclature

Kosmynin, Vladimir Vladimir.Kosmynin at dep.state.fl.us
Thu Jan 29 12:52:46 EST 2004

Dear Listers,

I think this is the time to talk about nomenclature of at least Atlantic reef
scleractinians, since it is not related to Stephanocoenia only.  I think Dr.
Vassil Zlatarski made very valuable point about inter-colonial variability
and transitional forms between two obvious forms - S. michelinii and
S.intersepta.  From my field and museum experience I can confirm that along
with distinctive forms there are numerous transitions.  The very same thing I
can tell about Montastraea  annularis forms.  For some strong believers of
three species in Montastraea annularis "complex" I could show transitions
both inter-colonially and intra-colonially during field work in Florida Keys
and Cuba.  The very same problem we have with Mycetophyllia species, where
along with distinctive forms of M. aliciae and M. ferox we have all
transitional forms too.  I wish Deborah Danaher will speak for that, she
invested considerable effort to figure out the borders between these two
species of Mycetophyllia.

At the same time there are at least three different forms in Montastraea
cavernosa, which I cannot recall somebody discussed. But fortunately, nobody
calls them species.

Coral taxonomy is not in favor now and is not really supported by funds; but
we have to realize that this is not just a problem of what to call this
particular coral "species" or "form".  It is more than just what to call it
when we are talking to public and bureaucracy about number of lost and
endangered species. It is a problem for management circles too.  For example,
I have received anger question why we are going to do monitoring "just on
Montastraea annularis, not also on M. faveolata and M. franksii". Well, just
because there are no such a thing as "species complex" in the International
Code of Zoological Nomenclature, and M. faveolata and M. franksii are not
appropriately established separate species.  I think we have to follow
correct existing names according to the International Code of Zoological
Nomenclature.  Neither publication of "species" in popular books, photo
albums and reports, nor personal opinions of well-known scientists cannot be
used as a reference.  Unfortunately, in our list we see often these "species"
in use,  and it is something that confuses those who are not a taxonomist,
but working on corals.  To resolve questions about species we need further
work with each particular species, but until it is not resolved like it was
done by Australian scientists with genera Platygyra in the Pacific, species
must stay like they are according to the International Code of Zoological
Nomenclature and correctly done revisions.

Thank you.

Vladimir N. Kosmynin, Ph.D.
Environmental Consultant
Bureau of Beaches and Coastal Systems
Department of Environmental Protection
3900 Commonwealth Boulevard
Mail Station 300
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-3000
e-mail: vladimir.kosmynin at dep.state.fl.us
Tel: (850)487-4471 Ext. 121
SunCom: 277-4471 Ext. 121
Fax: (850)921-6459

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:15:33 -0800 (PST)
From: vassil zlatarski <vzlatarski at yahoo.com>

[Coral List] coral nomenclature/taxonomy Stephanocoenia

Dear Colleagues,

The Stephanocoenia nomenclature question went to taxonomy, so permit me
to touch both areas.

The Cuban and Yucatan scleractinians offered invaluable information
about the variability of this genus.  In the book on Cuban Scleractinia
(1980 - Russian and 1982 - French) the taxonomic decision was based on
underwater observations and laboratory study of 164 colonies.  Their
variability was described and illustrated (1982: p.132-136, pl. 46, 47).
  The Cuban material contains not only plocoid and subcerioid, but even
cerioid (Idem. pl. 47, fig.3) colonies and many gradual transitions
between them.  What is more intriguing is that there are colonies
showing in their different parts more than one of these morphologies.
For example, specimen #681, station 162, transect 6, Km.14, Matanzas,
depth 18-20m. is both, plocoid and cerioid.  For such cases of
intra-colonial variability was introduced the term bimorphic colony
(1982, Chapter 3 - Variabilite et taxonomie, p. 16). On the other hand
concerning the inter-colonial variability, the series of coralla showing
gradual morphological transition between two taxa were called
morphological bridges (Idem. p.18).  I am kindly offering all this
detailed information, because the Cuban material was not only described
and illustrated, but fortunately after three decades preserved.  One
inventory last year showed that 80% of all collection, object of the
mentioned book, is curated in Instituto de Oceanologia, Havana.  The
specimen #681 was present.  I agree that it is easier to approach
typologically and identify only what is possible with the described
species.  By doing this we operate with only part of the existing
morphologies and use the "clear"or "good" specimens.  Unfortunately,
many colonies do not "fit" in the "drawers" of the named taxa.  How to
deal with them?  Closing the eyes we are ignoring the variability and
our species recede further and further from the reality.

About the synonimization of  S. michelinii.  It was done before 1987,
which year was mentioned previously in the Coral-List.  In the book of
1980 and 1982 five species, including michelinii, entered in the
synonymy of S. intersepta.

My struggle to understand a little bit better the nature of the
scleractinian species began in 1955 with fossil corals.  Presently I am
trying to catch up with the existing worldwide literature on coral
species and update my notion by using a holistic approach.  It is
exiting issue, but we have to recognize that the nomenclature and the
taxonomy of the Caribbean scleractinians are not doing well and they are
strongly appealing for updated studies, working with all existing
knowledge and material, for discussions and intercolleguial efforts.
The Coral List is good place to start.  I will be very glad to dedicate
efforts for efficient coordinated work.

Vassil Zlatarski

131 Fales Rd,

Bristol, RI 02809, USA

Phone: +1 401 254 5121

e-mail: vzlatarski at yahoo.com

131 Fales Rd., Bristol, RI 02809, USA;  tel.: +1-401-254-5121

Message: 7