[Coral-List] Sponges: individual counting

Janie Wulff wulff at bio.fsu.edu
Fri Jun 4 12:32:03 EDT 2004

Dear Catherine,

The paper "Assessing and monitoring coral reef
sponges: Why and how?"  (J.L. Wulff.  2001.
Bulletin of Marine Science 69:831-846)  might be
useful to you.

Number of individuals is not, by itself, a very
reliable measure of abundance for sponges,
especially branching and encrusting species,
because of their propensity to fragment asexually
and to re-fuse with their fragments.  If partial
mortality is involved in fragment generation, the
number of individuals can increase as the actual
amount of sponge present decreases.  Volume of
each individual sponge (defined as all the
physiologically confluent tissue within an
unbroken surface pinacoderm) can be a better
measure, because many of the roles that sponges
play in coral reef systems (e.g., as filter
feeders, harborers of symbionts, and food for
spongivores) are played out in proportion to the
volume of live sponge tissue.  Exhalent apertures
do not represent individuals in sponges.  This
very reasonable question has been discussed
elegantly in a paper by Willard Hartman and Henry
Reiswig, "The individuality of sponges" (1973.
In: Animal Colonies, edited by R.S. Boardman,
A.H. Cheetham, and W.A. Oliver).

Best of luck in your field work.  I can send you
copies of both papers if they are not readily
available in Martinique.

Janie Wulff

Department of Biological Science
Florida State University