[Coral-List] Okinawa - discussion on designing/implementing and managing MPAs

Ray Berkelmans r.berkelmans at aims.gov.au
Wed Jun 9 00:22:15 EDT 2004

Dear Colleagues

There is a high level of interest in marine protected areas, (MPAs): their
objectives, their limitations, their design, information requirements,
community involvement, high-level engagement/support, legal frameworks,
planning,  implementation, effective management and monitoring.

At ICRS there will be a great opportunity to hear presentations about MPAs
but *I would like to create an informal, open forum where expertise combines
with the practitioners to ask questions and discussion issues of concern
on-the-ground for people who are working to make a change in management.*

By this email, I would like to invite *coral reef managers* to sign up as
well as **people with expertise** that is useful for marine park managers.
The Hon Virginia Chadwick, Chair of the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park
Authority, has offered to chair this discussion.

The numbers will be limited to make the discussions meaningful.  After we
have about 20-30 people, I'll email that group to ask what topics they would
like to discuss and determine what time, during the ICRS, would be most
convenient for us all to meet.

*Please get back to me by Thursday 17 June* at the latest as we have to book
a time and place.  Note, it may be that we get the numbers we want before
then.

Thank you very much for considering this idea.

Sincerely

Leanne Fernandes

Manager, Representative Areas Program

Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority

Ph. 61 (07) 4750 0779

leannef at gbrmpa.gov.au

 The information  contained within this transmission  is for the use of
 the  intended  recipient  only  and  may  contain confidential  and/or
 legally privileged  material and/or material the  subject of copyright
 and/or  personal  information  and/or  sensitive  information  that is
 subject  to the   Privacy  Act  1988.   Any  review,  re-transmission,
 disclosure, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any  action in
 reliance upon this information  by persons or entities  other than the
 intended recipient is prohibited.

 If you have  received  this email  in error  please  notify  the  AIMS
 Privacy  Officer on  (07) 4753 4444  and  delete  all copies  of  this
 transmission together with any attachments.