[Coral-List] What I feel about Bleaching is not due to Warming

shashank Keshavmurthy iamshanky15 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 11 05:57:08 EDT 2004

Dear Sir,
If CO2 is to be considered as sole reason for the bleaching, then by now is it not that most reefs in the polluted parts of the world would have been extinct.  There has been enough CO2 emissions in the past (main reason for genesis for Kyoto Protocol) so as to make the corals disappear.  However, CO2 may have a role in bleaching as a combined effect due to various stressors and finally enhanced by temperature.  I do agree that temperature alone may not have much impact on corals as compared to the combined affect of stressors.
This is just what I felt since I am no expert in this area.
Regards
Shashank

"the role of infinitely small in nature is infinitely large"-Louis Pasteur

Keshavmurthy Shashank
Kochi University, Faculty of Agriculture
Lab. of AQUa. Environ. Sci. (LAQUES)
Otsu 200, Monobe, Nankoku-shi
783-8502, Kochi, Japan
alt. id: shashank at cc.kochi-u.ac.jp