[Coral-List] Can You Quantify Anchor or Bottom Paint Damage toCoral Reefs?

John McManus jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu
Wed Jun 16 11:23:12 EDT 2004

We did some calculations about dragging anchors in:

McManus, J.W., Nañola, C.L., and Reyes, R.B. 1997. Effects of some
destructive fishing methods on coral cover and potential rates of
recovery. Environmental Management. 21(1): 69-78.

You could use a similar speadsheet model approach to other breakage
scenarios involving the chains.

Cheers!

John

John W. McManus, PhD.
Director
National Center for Caribbean Coral Reef Research (NCORE)
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS)
University of Miami, 4600 Rickenbacker Causeway
Miami, Fl. 33149
Phone: 305-361-4814
Fax:   305-361-4910
Email: jmcmanus at rsmas.miami.edu