[Coral-List] Reef Balls, etc.

Robert Bourke rbourke at OCEANIT.COM
Tue Mar 2 12:24:19 EST 2004

Jim

A truly "Solomon of the Seas" decision to let the discussion continue.

As a government sponsored site you must walk a fine line with respect to any
appearance of commercial promotions, and this is not an easy task. However
unless this site wishes to merely document the continual degradation of
coral reef resources, there must be a forum for discussion of mitigation and
ecological restoration activities.

As a list-serve with a responsibility to promote ecological resource
management, restoration MUST be a topic of discussion.  Restoration efforts
are part of just about every resource management scheme I can think of,
including forestry, endangered species recovery, and fisheries.  If we look
back at some of the earliest efforts at restoration in each of these fields
- well, they are rather laughable by today's standards.  If we are to expect
the human population to interact with the coral reef ecosystem we must take
the responsibility to manage this system to the best of our abilities.  I
doubt that anyone on this list, including those who work for Reef Ball,
believes that the Reef Ball method is THE solution for every coral reef
problem.

If discussion (albeit somewhat bridled, please!) of commercial private
sector efforts at reef restoration are not openly discussed, then the
responsibility for reef restoration activities will tend to fall towards the
government sector.  I'm sure that the USACOE would greatly appreciate the
business.

Aloha

Bob Bourke
Oceanit - a Private For Profit Coastal Environmental Engineering and
Research Firm