[Coral-List] Singapore coral reefs website

Loh Tse-Lynn tmslohtl at nus.edu.sg
Thu Mar 4 03:10:22 EST 2004

Dear listers,

I'm pleased to introduce the Singapore Coral Reefs website (http://coralreef.nus.edu.sg), set-up by the Marine Biology Lab of the National University of Singapore. Singapore is an island nation in Southeast Asia, just south of Peninsular Malaysia. Despite extensive coastal development over the last few decades and a highly urbanised landscape, coral reefs still exist in Singapore waters. In fact, there have been close to 200 species of hard corals from 55 genera and 111 reef fishes from 30 familes recorded. More than 60% of the original coral reefs have been reclaimed or dredged, and the visibility of the waters seldom is more than 2 metres, but the coral reef life here still survive, grow and spawn. Check out our image galleries for more information!

This website puts together the research done by the Marine Biology Lab, information about the southern islands and their reefs, LIT and Reef Check survey data and photo and video images of local reef life. Research publications are also listed, some in downloadable format. We acknowledge that we can't be expert in all marine phyla, so if there are any mistakes in the identifcation of fauna in the photo gallery, I'll be more than happy to hear from you. We hope that you will find this website useful, especially regarding research in sedimented or urbanised areas.

If you have any queries, comments or suggestions, it can be directed to singaporereefs at yahoo.com.

Cheers,
Tse-Lynn Loh
Web Administrator