[Coral-List] Growth rate of Dendrogyra

McCarty and Peters McCarty_and_Peters at compuserve.com
Tue Mar 9 20:45:14 EST 2004

Dear Pedro,

I have not measured growth rates in Dendrogrya, but for my postdoc I
measured growth rates of Dichocoenia, which is a relative.  Skeletal
extension was approximately 1-2 mm per year, making it one of the slowest
growing corals.

I recall Ian Macintyre at the Smithsonian's National Museum of Natural
History told me that Dendrogyra is also slow growing, because, as with
Dichocoenia, he could not obtain banding patterns using X-ray imaging of
thin skeletal slices.  The annual lines are too closely spaced.  I am
copying him on this message, perhaps he has some calculations somewhere.
(I'm also copying Steve Cairns of the museum on this also, in case he knows
Ian does not do e-mail, perhaps he can give him this message in hard copy..)

Esther Peters