[Coral-List] Glues for nubbins

Todd Barber reefball at reefball.com
Sun Mar 14 08:41:19 EST 2004

The Reef Ball Foundation has used "jurassic gel" or "palio bond" along with
a spray activator available for the form of superglue.  It has effectively
worked with both hard and soft corals in our research aquariums.

Jurassic gel is a form of superglue that is very thick, so it works better
underwater (we still use above water methods for actually attachments).  We
don't the stuff very often as it is expensive
(http://www.bhigr.com/pages/sans/prep/glue_kits.htm).  It is normally used
by scientists that are reconstructing fossils.  We have not documented any
toxic effects with the glue itself, but we have seen some signs of stress
with the activator (probably because it is a spray and its application is
not as controlled.  If you use it, apply a drop to both the substrate and
the coral then bring them together.

That all said, we normally use a 30 second setting concrete to create plugs
which are then later attached prefabricated strucutures that have receptor
holes for the plugs using underwater two part epoxy.  This works will hard
corals and with soft corals that have a woody stem (gorgonians). We use
growout methods for other soft corals where concrete plugs are left either
next to soft coral colonies for natural overgrowth, or we use temporary
methods of holding propogates next to the plugs long enough for natural
attachment (toothpicks and rubber bands, bridal veil, or super glues).

For efficency, we have found it is best to do as much work as is practical
above the surface of the water to minimize diving times as that is the most
expensive and weather variable part of working with corals.

Just as an observation, medical doctors also use superglue as stitches so
they must have some studies on toxicity.

-Todd Barber
Chairman, Reef Ball Foudatnio